An egress window is an easy-to-open window located within a dwelling (home, cottage, etc.), that provides the means to exit in case of emergency. If you are finishing your basement, or are planning to build out and finish a room or bedroom(s) in your basement, an egress window is a code requirement.
Egress window installation is a relatively easy process. The steps to install an egress window include:
- excavating the ground directly outside of your home where you would like the egress window installed
- removing an area of your homes’ wall or foundation to frame and install the new egress windows (if you are replacing old windows with newer egress windows, you may have to increase the overall size of your windows to meet current egress window code standards; this may result in the need to reframe the window space of the windows you are replacing)
- and, if installing in your basement, installing the window well with steps for emergency exit and safety
To qualify as an egress window, your windows much meet specific size requirements.
Egress window code requirements
- Minimum window opening width must be at least 20 inches
- Minimum window opening height must be at least 36 inches
- Minimum window opening size must 5.7 square feet
Why do you need an egress window?
Egress windows are required in your basement or below ground living space by the International Resident Code (IRC). If your home catches fire an egress window acts as an emergency exit. Having a egress window in your basement will provide you and your family with comfort and safety, while your home is meeting fire safety regulations.
Full-service Egress Window Installation
At RaiseRite, we bring the trust, quality, and reliability you deserve and expect from your egress windows, and the people who install them. As a foundation repair contractor, we have the experience and skills needed to quickly, cleanly, and safely handle the excavation required for your egress window installation. Our egress windows meet and exceed the International Resident Code (IRC) code requirements, letting you rest assured that you will have the highest quality and safety after the job is done.
Owning a home for over 50 years, one will need help and service of many people in the repair business. We have never in all this time, had any company do a better job than the people we worked with in your company. The workmen were very professional and clean. The work was done quickly with minimum of disruptions to our property. Most importantly, they left the yard and our home much cleaner than we expected. It was a job well done. Thank You RaiseRite! ~ Green Bay, WI