When a home or other building structure is built on unstable soil, it can cause many problems with its foundation.
Unstable soil is often a geographic trend in the area, or perhaps it is a structures relation to a nearby river or lake. In our over 40 years in business providing concrete raising services, foundation repair, and waterproofing, we have found that the cause for most foundation repair is some sort of soil-related problem.
Moisture content in soil changes with the seasons and shrinks heavily concentrated clay soil, reducing the overall support under existing structure footings. In addition, poor compaction, organic materials in the soil and overloading can also cause structural footings to fail.
When the soil surrounding your home expands and contracts, it will create pressure which ultimately pushes on your homes foundation. This pressure can lead to your foundation walls becoming bowed, or otherwise being pushed in from the outside. One common option to consider is a foundational beam installation.
Common Signs of Settled Foundation
- cracking of the brick or block, mostly through the mortar joints – usually shows up as a “stair-stepping” pattern in the perimeter wall joints
- large gaps in window and door frames
- multiple nail pops are appearing in ceilings and walls
- walls are beginning to lean noticeably
- floors are starting to settle and become uneven
- chimneys are tilting and leaning
- foundations are sinking
- cracking in the interior drywall or plaster walls and ceiling
- sticking doors and windows that previously worked properly
- sloping concrete or wood floors
- sagging roof-lines
- cracks can be seen in foundations or basement walls
RaiseRite Concrete Lifting raised my front sidewalk. I was able to be home from work when the work was done to watch the process, and needless to say I was very impressed. I had no idea how it was done, so it was interesting to watch from start to finish. I was amazed at how the driller could handle that drill and place the holes exactly right to raise the slabs in the direction they need to be raised, my sidewalk was a disaster and they made it straight again! The men were very professional and the clean-up was perfect. I would highly recommend RaiseRite Concrete Lifting Inc. to anyone. ~ Kelly, Manitowoc WI