When a home or other building structure is built on unstable soil, it can cause many problems with its foundation.
Unstable soil is often a geographic trend in the area, or perhaps it is a structures relation to a nearby river or lake. In our over 40 years in business providing concrete raising services, foundation repair, and waterproofing, we have found that the cause for most foundation repair is some sort of soil-related problem.
Moisture content in soil changes with the seasons and shrinks heavily concentrated clay soil, reducing the overall support under existing structure footings. In addition, poor compaction, organic materials in the soil and overloading can also cause structural footings to fail.
When the soil surrounding your home expands and contracts, it will create pressure which ultimately pushes on your homes foundation. This pressure can lead to your foundation walls becoming bowed, or otherwise being pushed in from the outside. One common option to consider is a foundational beam installation.
Common Signs of Settled Foundation
- cracking of the brick or block, mostly through the mortar joints – usually shows up as a “stair-stepping” pattern in the perimeter wall joints
- large gaps in window and door frames
- multiple nail pops are appearing in ceilings and walls
- walls are beginning to lean noticeably
- floors are starting to settle and become uneven
- chimneys are tilting and leaning
- foundations are sinking
- cracking in the interior drywall or plaster walls and ceiling
- sticking doors and windows that previously worked properly
- sloping concrete or wood floors
- sagging roof-lines
- cracks can be seen in foundations or basement walls
I recently purchased a home that had a bowed wall. I called RaiseRite and they sent out an expert in that field to diagnose the problem and estimate the cost to straighten the wall. They also recommended having the exterior of the wall sprayed with high density polyurethane. The polyurethane will act as a crack sealer, water sealant, and excellent insulating characteristics. My job was completed in three days and didn’t affect my home life. The wall was restored to its original condition and put value back into my home. The crew was extremely professional and did an excellent job of cleaning up. Thanks RaiseRite! ~Dave Manitowoc, WI