When a home or other building structure is built on unstable soil, it can cause many problems with its foundation.
Unstable soil is often a geographic trend in the area, or perhaps it is a structures relation to a nearby river or lake. In our over 40 years in business providing concrete raising services, foundation repair, and waterproofing, we have found that the cause for most foundation repair is some sort of soil-related problem.
Moisture content in soil changes with the seasons and shrinks heavily concentrated clay soil, reducing the overall support under existing structure footings. In addition, poor compaction, organic materials in the soil and overloading can also cause structural footings to fail.
When the soil surrounding your home expands and contracts, it will create pressure which ultimately pushes on your homes foundation. This pressure can lead to your foundation walls becoming bowed, or otherwise being pushed in from the outside. One common option to consider is a foundational beam installation.
Common Signs of Settled Foundation
- cracking of the brick or block, mostly through the mortar joints – usually shows up as a “stair-stepping” pattern in the perimeter wall joints
- large gaps in window and door frames
- multiple nail pops are appearing in ceilings and walls
- walls are beginning to lean noticeably
- floors are starting to settle and become uneven
- chimneys are tilting and leaning
- foundations are sinking
- cracking in the interior drywall or plaster walls and ceiling
- sticking doors and windows that previously worked properly
- sloping concrete or wood floors
- sagging roof-lines
- cracks can be seen in foundations or basement walls
You certainly lived up to everything I’d heard about RaiseRite Concrete Lifting, Inc. The process was so professional and easy. I didn’t even know that they were there. I trusted RaiseRite to do a professional and honest job and they followed through. I didn’t even have to take time out of my busy schedule. I appreciated the fact that I did not have to be home and yet my driveway was finished before I came home from work. Nice Job RaiseRite! ~ JM, Neenah, WI